Is the reason why you want a Catahoula, the fact that he is so beautiful and has such amazing blue eyes?
That’s your first mistake!
Acquiring a Catahoula from this reason, when you are on top of inexperienced in dogs, is a disaster for you and your dog!
What you need to know before you decide for a Catahoula:
- You need more dog experience and expertise!
- You must be ready to learn with this dog.
- Especially in the first 2 years of its life, you need a lot of time and sometimes patience and nerves of steel.
- Be assured that the Catahoula does not give its strong energy and will only into work during a day! Even if educated and lead well, you will face it.
- You should be able and willing to become a sovereign leader for him – namely mentally, not physically.
- During the first 3 years or even for the rest of his life, he can challenge you again and again to see if you are able to lead him.
- The Catahoula urgently needs a suitable and regular employment, otherwise he will “destroy your house” (quote of an experienced American breeder) and develope undesirable habbits.
- Please do not acquire a Catahoula, when you can´t give him a suitable job.
- He has hunting instincts!
It is WRONG to conclude now from above facts, that the dog must be educated with a lot of hardship!
A Catahoula needs to be brought up with unconditional and also loving consistency. Any kind of pressure generates often counter-pressure in this breed. Those, who does not have authority and balance, will lose. A solid basis is important!
A Catahoula Leopard Dog desperately needs closeness and affection of his people.
The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog is a wonderful dog AND challenge for every owner!
Author: Anke Boysen (www.catahoula-leopard-dog.de )